About Our Farming Community
A Look Through Time
"Nathanial Point, Sr. could look north to his fields, east to his barn, south to a steep wooded hillside, and west to the bank of the Cuyahoga River. For almost a century (1857 to 1940), generations of Points lived and worked here. The history of the Point Farm illustrates how, after the Civil War, dairy farming and grain production rose in significance in Northeast Ohio.
Nathanial Point's successful dairy business took advantage of newer forms of transportation, including the canal and railroad, which carried his products to Akron. The Point family also raised other livestock, vegetables, and grains. Beginning with three or four cows, Nathanial built up a prosperous operation that depended on the accessibility of the city, the fertility of his land, and the perseverance of his family.
In 1940, after the death of young Nathanial Point III, the family decided to leave their farm. Daniel Biro, a Hungarian immigrant, later purchased the property. His subsistence farm supported his four children and their families during lean times. They moved a large farmhouse from nearby Quick Road and split it in two, so everyone had a home. The Biros made additional income by selling gravel and topsoil.
During the establishment of Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the National Park Service bought the historic farm. For a time, it was used as office space for the park friends' group. By the end of the 20th century, it was rehabilitated and became a Countryside Initiative farm. The property's agricultural heritage has been restored. New farmers now raise pastured meat goats and heritage breed turkeys."